Wiz Khalifa once said, “Worrying is stupid. It's like walking around with an umbrella waiting for it to rain.”
For the few readers who know me personally, it may seem a bit ironic and hypocritical that I'm writing an article about such a statement. Being a constant dreamer, I tend to obsess about worrying over the future to the point where it seems as though I happily live by it. Well, I don't enjoy it one bit and I'm slowly realizing it's no way to live; especially when you're as young as I am.
Now, for those who are interested in what I have to say, let me start off by acknowledging the fact that everybody worries, and to do so, once in a while, is not necessarily a bad thing. It can inspire you to prepare for what could happen. It can also reinforce the idea that you deeply care about certain things in your life such as:
- Your future career path
- Finding the right person to fall in love with
- Being happy with yourself
- Being a good person
However, when worrying becomes a habit, the possibility of one inadvertently neglecting those important things increases. If you worry too much, not only can you lose the things that are most cherished, you might also find yourself very alone and very sad... Stupid right?
So What Can You Do to Stop Worrying and Start Living?
1. Understand that worrying will not protect you from the bad things that may happen to you in life: If and when bad things happen, learn from your experiences so that you improve your personal steps. Remember, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. If by chance you forget, be aware that there are tons of overplayed songs on the radio to remind you.
2. Give your full attention to prioritizing your goals and working to succeed in them: As I said before, everybody worries, it's human, but don't waste your time dwelling on it. Instead keep yourself busy by making a sustainable future for yourself. FYI Girls who are in their 20's , if your main goals include getting a boyfriend, falling in love, and getting married, I seriously suggest you reevaluate your life and look at the other options you have. If you don't, you may find yourself with more regrets than worries, or writing a bunch of songs like Taylor Swift...ugghh----------->
3. Talk and move forward: If something extremely worries you, talk to the people that care about you. There's nothing wrong with asking for help. Expressing your feelings to others is very therapeutic. However it's important that once you've expressed them, you actually do something about it, rather than just talk about it all the time.
4. Have fun: Do the things that you enjoy most when you a have spare moment. Hangout with your friends, read a book, get a hobby, be active, go outside. Whatever you do, do not feel sorry for yourself nor attempt to bring others down to your level. Those two actions are actually the complete opposite of having fun and you may just come off as a “Miserable Bitch".
5. Open your eyes: There are so many good things that happen in your life and result from the positive and negative experiences you've had. It's important that you always try to look on the bright side; it make's life definitely worth living.
All in all, I understand there are many stresses in the world, especially in this day and age. I also understand that there are many others in this world that have experienced horrible situations in their past that are beyond anyone's understanding. But, we all have chances to be happy and get the life that we want; it's just important you take them.
In response to Wiz's quote, I state "If you're walking around with an umbrella waiting for it rain, you'll never get to fully appreciate the sun"
Author: Athena Gomez-Hipolito
Photography and GIF: Tumblr